The Plus One – Sophia Money-Coutts

the plus one sophia Money-COutts Netgalley ARC Book review books blog diary of difference

I love romance, and chick-literature. I love fast reads, and enjoyable nonsense. The cover looked so cute, and when I got approved the ARC on The Plus One from Sophia Money-Coutts on Netgalley, I was excited to read it. And then, it all started going downhill…

The Plus One is a book about Polly Spencer. She is thirty, single and works for Posh! Magazine. I didn’t like the Poly Spencer of now, and I thought, this might be a book where the main character is a lady with no self-respect, gets dumped, doesn’t have any ambition in life, and that’s okay. People learn, people change, or if people don’t change, they start to be happy in their own world, without bothering what others think about it.

But Polly – she is all of these things, and on top of that she is not a happy bunny. She keeps complaining about things without trying to act on it, and her day consists of her checking if the phone has a message of her ‘crush’, and asking herself eighty-six times whether to send a message first or not.

I usually love these types of books, but not in cases where the character is just so… I don’t even have the words to explain.

And the book is full of words used too often (Shenanigans is such a lovely word, and Sophia destroyed it for me), lame pick up lines (‘I carry farm animals. I can manage you.’ – WHO SAYS THAT?), dialogues and useless waste of pages with people deciding what to eat:

‘So let’s get some onion bhajis to start. And then I’m going to have a butter chicken. And it comes with popadoms, right?’

‘Yes’ – I said, taking the menu from him.

‘And I’ll get the chicken jalfrezi. And plain rice. Mums, do we have any chutney?’

And it goes on…

At 42%, I decided to store this is my DNF stack. I really wish I had loved it, and I am so sad I didn’t.

But life is too short to read the books you don’t like…

Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | Instagram | Pinterest

Advertisements

19 thoughts on “The Plus One – Sophia Money-Coutts

1. jenchaos76 October 19, 2018 / 10:45 pm

The food thing would have driven me crazy!

Liked by 1 person

2. Ayushi A Nair October 20, 2018 / 11:11 am

I’m also a fan of romance genre 😍
    I hope your next read will be an amazing one

Liked by 1 person

3. Jade October 20, 2018 / 11:33 am

I don’t think I would have been able to get through this one either with how you described the main character. Hope your next read is better!

Liked by 1 person

4. Joselyn Raquel October 20, 2018 / 2:18 pm

sometimes it happens, they’re some of those in my couldn’t finish them list, they’re just not what you expect

Liked by 1 person

5. SARAH NOWICKI October 20, 2018 / 2:26 pm

I love romance also. Sorry this one didn’t meet your expectations. Maybe next time.

Liked by 1 person

6. Empress DJ October 20, 2018 / 5:37 pm

Oh, too bad – we have all been there.

Liked by 1 person

7. Shana@Crack A Book Cafe October 20, 2018 / 7:58 pm

It drives me nuts when an author uses the same word over and over again.

Liked by 1 person

8. Saturday Nite Reader October 21, 2018 / 3:09 am

I heard the same about this one. And like you too, I love the word shenanigans…but don’t overuse it!! What a bummer.

Liked by 1 person

9. bookwormscornerblogspotgmailcom October 21, 2018 / 9:27 am

I read this one in July and thought it was ok, I gave it 3 stars but I didn’t love it. I hope your next read is a 5 star.

Liked by 1 person

• innah96 October 21, 2018 / 9:27 am

I am glad you could finish it. I couldn’t! Hope your next read is 5 star too!

10. Karla J. Strand, DPhil, MLIS October 22, 2018 / 11:45 pm

Yikes, so sorry this one fell short. I don’t think we should feel bad about not finishing – like you said, life is too short to read crappy books!

11. Kati 👩🏻 (@KatisBRR15) October 23, 2018 / 5:29 pm

Ohh Bummer I am so sorry this book really didn’t work out for you I hope your next read is a much better one. Thank you so much for sharing your awesome post.

Liked by 1 person